Tuesday 18 October 2011

Module 6

Privacy and Copyright – concerning stuff!

The first site I looked at was ‘Flickr’. I can confidently say that I am VERY experienced in uploading photos to my Facebook, but it was nice to see what another site had to offer. I loved the fact that I could upload my videos WITH my photos and keep them in one collection. However, personally, I would find uploading photos to two social network sites to take too much effort. For the classroom on the other hand, I can find lots of potential. This would be a fantastic tool to keep excursion, mass and classroom photos on. As well as, a place children could add photos of their own achievements or celebrations like sports or birthday parties. Like most people, I worry about the welfare of my students and the privacy that is provided by these sites. I did like, however, that you could choose to ONLY have your friends view the photos as opposed to making them public. Oh, if you are interested, here is the link to the photos I have posted on Flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/68767276@N05/sets/72157627921966386/show/


Copyright Laws really confuse me, so I was very glad when I discovered this site www.smartcopying.edu.au/. This site is so useful and provides you with the facts of what is acceptable so that we do not breach copyright laws. I thought it was awesome that they provide a special link to information sheets for schools. This is something that I will definitely need to read up and familiarise myself with.

Creative Commons is a BRILLIANT idea. They provide “a free, public, and standardized infrastructure that creates a balance between the reality of the Internet and the reality of copyright laws”. This is something that I will need to have a thorough look through and may be just what I need when trying to teach my class about acceptable use. FYI – Flickr has a fantastic collection of Creative Commons material.

Woohoo, half way done! See you again for Module 7.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Row, I've got 3 things:

    (1) I love the pictures & videos of the lions!!!

    (2) Copyright for Schools - Carol Simpson

    This is a book that I'm reading for one of my graduate courses. It is a must have for any educator and will definitely help you understand copyright. Here's the ISBN if you wish to look it up: 978-1-58683-393-0

    (3) Flickr used by students sounds great. Maybe creating a private group (or selecting 'friends only') would put parents at ease about what their kids are sharing online. It might also be beneficial to not allow personal photos of students. This might take some of the fun out of it, but again, it might be something that helps to get the parents on board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cece, that book sounds really interesting! Copyright laws really scare me due to the fact that I know so little about them. 'Copyright for schools' may be something I need to get my hands on. Flickr has so much potential in the classroom, but before I get excited I need to try and research if there is an age restriction. By the way, nice to see your photo up - can finally put a face to the name and comments :)

    Oh, just a quick question, what comment settings have you chosen for people to comment on your blogs? I can’t even comment on my own blog without trying for 15 minutes :|

    ReplyDelete