Monday 17 October 2011

Module 4

Taking storytelling to a whole new level

Yay, the module I actually have previous experience with! Due to having a few i-items (iPhone and iPod), I’ve become quite accustomed to using iTunes. However, before today, the only podcasts I had ever listened to were Twilight based (don’t judge!). I find that my little ones use digital storytelling quite a fair bit. ‘KidPix’ is a program where they get the opportunity to create a picture then write a caption underneath. ‘Photostory’ is similar, but instead of creating their own picture, they use photos, write captions AND narrate. Both these programs then turn the child’s creation into a slideshow. ‘Audacity’ is fantastic for children to narrate a story and is especially useful to show a child that they read like a robot (or in teacher speak – need to improve their fluency, tone and expression).

I’ve found another site I can see myself becoming a little obsessed with – ‘Storynory – free Audio stories for kids’. I can see it now, guided reading time, class story time…my cherubs will love it!

I LOVE YOUTUBE! So versatile, so entertaining, so awesome! I use YouTube to introduce units, sum up ideas, get music to meditate, inspiration/instruction for artworks, motivation (refer to recycling clip below). I also use YouTube to watch pedagogical videos for my own learning – like ‘TEDtalksDirector’. Oh and I also like BTN (behind the news) for initiating a lesson or even just explaining what’s going on in the world.

I’m going to leave you with a clip that I used to initiate last term's focus on ‘Being Environmentally Friendly’. My kids are OBSESSED with this song. Even after the term ended, this is still a favoured ‘clean-up-the-classroom' song. It is Tag Your Green Machine by nicepeter.

1 comment: