Saturday 19 November 2011

Module 9

Edu-Networking

I’mm baaack! After a month full of illness, reports and life in general going pear-shaped, I’m back to finish off this Web 2.0 course.

My school has been a fan of Scootle for years. I, however, managed to evade the bandwagon until today. Scootle is amazing. The best part – for me – is the fact that there are learning objects that are based on the Australian Curriculum. It is also super duper easy to use due to the organisation of the site – by subject, grade, strand and then indicators. In my classroom, I can see this being a versatile tool in, for example, my maths groups. They even enable the teacher to create learning paths for their students, aiding in differentiation of the curriculum.
I am quite experienced when it comes to social networking, having both a Facebook and a twitter account. However, I was shocked to find out that a numberof children in my year 2 class has a Facebook account. It is obvious that their parents were not aware/were not too concerned about the fact that they are younger than, the required age of, 13. I guess that is one of my main concerns – if WE do not teach them about cyber safety and privacy, who will?

My colleagues have been raving about Second Life, so purely out of curiosity I decided to check it out. The possibilities of where this program can take people are mind-blowing. After watching the video ‘Education in Second Life: Explore the Possibilities’ my mind was buzzing with ideas on integrating this into my classroom. We have units exploring the past, different countries, different environments…this would make learning, so much more motivating. However, I do feel like it is more suited for older students. I think I need to look more into this one.

1 down, 2 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment